Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sins & Needles by Karina Halle review






Sins & Needles
By Karina Halle
**4.25 Stars**









"I have to live with my mistakes, but I don’t have to regret them. I regret my actions but I cant' regret the consequences. We all make our own paths in life. Everyone we meet, everything we do, it changes us. It makes us who we are. And, if we’re lucky, we’re given the chance to make things right again.”

Sins and Needles. Wow! What an original story. I struggle to find stories I connect to. Not saying I’m a con artist, just that most girls are not sweet and innocent. Ellie has layers and Camden isn’t the same bad-boy we’re all so used to. Both characters were flawed. They had scars, lives they wanted desperately to leave behind. I was able to see where the story was headed, but it wasn’t so much about where the story ends, but how they got there.

The girl comes from a bad background; her parents were not good people. They taught the girl all she knows. Ellie Watts is a con-artist. A grifter. A gypsie.  She cons men and steals their money. She has had so many identities, but finally must come back to the one that she was born with… Ellie. She returns to her hometown of Palm Valley to start over. This is where she sees Camden McQueen. He was the Goth growing up. He was an outsider. Now, he is unrecognizable. Tall, dark, mysterious, successful. He now own a local tattoo shop, Sins and Needles, which harbors many secrets of its own. Camden and Ellie go all the way back to High School. They have a past. But now isn’t the time to reminisce; it’s time to move forward. There’s trouble coming from both sides. Can these two learn to trust one another to survive? Can they learn to love again?

I loved the first installment of The Artists trilogy. Some books just make you feel an instant connection. There is nothing bubblegum to this story, it's dark and a excellent change of pace. I was hooked from the first page. I will prewarn though, it is a big cliffhanger, I was not expecting that, so be ready for it!

“Do you think because you can’t see my scars they don’t exist? That’s the trouble with pain, Ellie. If you’re lucky, you can wear it for all the world to see. Most people have their pain deep inside, in places no one ever goes.  Not until it’s too late.”

~Review by Heather~

No comments:

Post a Comment