Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker review




Ten Tiny Breaths
By K.A. Tucker
 **3.5 Stars**

“Our past isn’t who we are. I’m me and you’re you and that’s who we need to be.”

Ten Tiny Breaths started out so strong, I love damaged characters, I love seeing the transformation, the healing powers of the mind. But, one of the most important elements of a book (at least in my mind), is real-life stories. If the facts would have been accurate, this would have been an easy 4 stars.


Kacey Cleary has been through more in one lifetime than anybody should ever have to endure. She now has the responsibility of raising her teenaged sister Livie. She loves her sister with her entire heart, and is willing to do anything to keep her safe. When they move to Florida, there is a new hottie next door, Trent, who is very into her from the beginning. He is protective, and making an attempt to help Kacey get past her issues, and trust again.

“I’ll make you whole again, Kacey. I promise you, I will,” he whispers. And then his mouth covers mine.

“Give me your heart Kacey. I’ll take everything that comes with it.”

Kacey has too many problems to deal with on her own, and has to lean on Dr. Stayner for professional help, this is where my issue came. Writing a story where a psychiatrist is giving advice, a writer needs to use correct information, even if it’s just googleing mental-disease treatments. Especially in this book, the issues Kacey had were so possible in real-life, the words the good doctor used could have been easily changed to accurate things a psychiatrist would say and do. The book could have still had the same ending, and raised awareness how serious mental diseases are, and how to get help.  

“Yes I do hate him.” I spit back, my voice losing some of it’s strength. I hate Dr. Stayner right now. I hate him because in the back of my mind, I know he’s right.

Ten Tiny Breaths is about becoming whole again. It’s about life after death and loss. Can a brain recover from such loss? Can we ever find our old selves though the dark? Sometimes, it’s best to just breathe.

Take ten tiny breaths. Seize them. Feel them. Love them.










No comments:

Post a Comment